Monday, March 8, 2010

KIERAN BENNETT: 2nd Place - Skyline Screamer Race Report!


As soon as I heard about the Skyline Screamer downhill race in Wellington I knew it was a race I didn't want to miss. The organisers decided to take it back about a decade and run an eliminator style race 3 up down a wide open firebreak and seriously how can you not have fun at something like that especially when there was $1000 up for first.

Luckily they were keen to get a good pro presence at the race and offered to cover my flights up to the race so it was a definate yes from me and by Saturday afternoon I was at Wellington airport getting picked up by Nathan Rankin who looked quite wrecked after racing the Karapoti classic which is a 50km (30mile) xc race thats been held for 25 years.

Sunday was an early morning and not knowing what to expect or really where we were going we headed in the general direction of the hill where the race was supposed to be. With only a couple of minor detours we pulled into the park at the bottom of the hill to find a pretty low key looking event going on. Due to a bit of poor advertising it seems that not too many people knew about the race but there were still about 8 guys who all could do damage so once we got organised it was the up the hill to check out what we were racing.

First run down I was feeling comfortable on my new Tomac Primer 220, it was handling perfectly and I had a smile on my face the whole way. I only ended up doing 3 practice runs before qualifying because I got pretty confident on the track quickly.

I got a bit squirely in my qualifier but still had a decent run and was only 1 second behind Rankin so I was pretty happy and sitting in a comfortable spot. My first heat was pretty cruisy after putting a good sprint in out of the gate I got a good lead and had a big gap by the finish making it into the 2nd round with ease as they only took the winner from each heat.

After a bit of break it was back for the 2nd round, I found myself up agaist a bit stiffer competition with Daniel Meilink getting first gate pick and then getting into an early lead but staying close to him paid off and I reeled him and made a pass for the lead on the first short uphill and never looked back to get my 2nd win.

Nathan Rankin made a last minute pass in his final heat race to take the win so that meant I would be finding myself in the finals against him.

Getting a good jump off the line I managed to get straight into the lead but clipping a pedal on the first small climb gave Nathan the opportunity to get ahead going into the next climb where he kept his lead but I was right there with him once we hit the main downhill section. Coming into a fast left that exited onto a wide open water rutter section I found my way back into the lead setting up wide and making my move down the inside and then trying to put some distance into Nathan but then only about 30 seconds later coming round a sweep trying to protect the line next thing I see if the bright orange kit of Rankin making a move around the outside and putting himself back into the thousand dollar position on really the last legit spot to make a pass. I stayed stuck to his wheel for the rest of the run but with no where else to pass I had to settle for 2nd, this wasnt a complete disaster though I still walked away with $500 pocket money and had one hell of a fun race. I couldnt help but smile after crossing the line.

This was by far the most fun ive had on a bike in a long time and I think a lot of that is thanks to my new DRD Tomac, ive never felt so instantly comfortable and confident on a new bike.

I cant say thanks enough to the organisers for putting on a great event and making it possible for me to be there and also to Jeremiah at DRD for taking me in this season and putting me on an amazing bike!

Cheers!

KB

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dylan Dean,
    I have found my photos posted in various places with the press release on Kieran Bennets new ride, leading me back here. All three images posted on this page are mine, and I did not at any stage give permission for you to use them. Could you please credit me for these photos if you are going to use them. In future you should ask the owners of the pictures because no one appreciates their images being used without permission.

    ReplyDelete